Nature is full of cycles: From the ebb and flow of the tides to the changing of the seasons, everything in nature follows a cycle of growth, decay and rebirth. As humans, we form part of nature and can benefit by embracing these cycles that occur around us and follow nature’s lead by applying the already occurring order-of-events to help bring personal rebirth and transformation to our own lives.
THE POWER OF CHANGE
By observing and understanding the cycles and orders in the natural world around us, we too can learn to harness the power of change, just as nature does.
Perhaps the best example of rebirth in nature is the changing of the seasons. Every year as winter fades into spring, we see new life emerging all around us, as the earth transforms from a cold, barren landscape to a colourful, vibrant one.
Similarly, we can experience our own personal transformation, or “rebirth”, by allowing and embracing change. Like leaves falling from trees in Autumn only to regrow and sprout in Spring, we can shed old or harmful patterns and habits by actioning new ones.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF TRANSFORMATION
Humans are multi-faceted beings, and so change can take many forms:
Spiritual Transformation – a shift in consciousness that leads to a greater sense of purpose, perhaps with a re-evaluation of one’s beliefs and value system.
Emotional Transformation – developing greater emotional intelligence and learning to manage emotions more effectively.
Physical Transformation – making purposeful changes to one’s body such as a new food regime, different exercise, or skin care routine, all to bring about meaningful change.
Career Transformation – work rebirth can be found in a variety of ways from changing careers, to simply achieving greater success and fulfilment in one’s current position.
Relationship Transformation – rebirth in a relationship doesn’t necessarily mean a complete change, it could simply be achieved through better communication, and setting boundaries.
As Heraclitus stated, “The only thing constant in life is change”.
Change can be cyclic in nature as many natural and social phenomena follow these cyclic patters (tides, seasons, economic cycles). These patterns can help us understand how the world around us works, and how we can adapt to and thrive in a constantly changing environment. More importantly, accepting that there is cyclic change all around us all the time, can help make us less fearful of it, and rather awaken a learning spirit where we anticipate and work towards our own betterment.
The process may not always be due to willingness or choice, or an inner awakening. Sometimes the process is initiated by a major life event or sudden trauma.
Either way, change in one’s life is inevitable, so why not embrace it and bring about a meaningful rebirth?
THE PROCESS OF REBIRTH
The process of transformation can be challenging, not matter the area in your life where it is happening, or how prepared you are – growth is hard! There is no one-size-fits all when it comes to steps to be followed/ We are all individuals with individual needs and goals.
There are some aspects, or “character keys” that will help to not only embrace transformation, but also make it less difficult:
- Perhaps the most important thing is self-awareness! Being aware of the ending & rebirth periods in one’s life automatically leads to introspection, retrospection, and reflection. Examining beliefs, values and priorities usually precedes the decision to initiate some kind of shift, with the understanding that pattern change leads to growth.
- Identify the areas in your life you feel require the transformation: emotional, physical, career, spiritual, relationship, locality.
- Acceptance of yourself and your life situation, including your flaws and imperfections, will help to set realistic goals that are achievable.
- A positive outlook and focus on the good aspects of any situation not only helps to continue on your journey if there is a setback, but it also makes you a joy to be around.
- Display open-mindedness and a willingness to do something different, even if that means coming up with a creative approach to an old problem.
- Developing a sense of resilience is important, inner strength and self-belief are vital for navigating change. Resilience is also the key to overcoming challenges and staying committed to change.
- Do. Be a person of action. Every journey begins with action, the “first step” so to speak, ultimately action will lead to progress. A decision, a phone call, a thought, reading a book – always be busy nurturing yourself towards to transformation you wish to achieve.
WHERE TO BEGIN?
People often feel unhappy with various situations in their life. Personally, I have always found it a lot simpler to start a ‘change’ or ‘shift’ by altering one small thing first... cutting one thing out of my diet or adding something new to my morning routine, a haircut or hair colour change, starting a new TV series. There is a lot that is within your control, and given a small tweak, will certainly help lead to greater happiness which ultimately aids in dealing with concerns in your life that cause stress.